Sunday, October 16, 2011

PIE #46 - Browned-Butter Pecan Pie


I am a pecan pie purist. I prefer the classic pie made with traditional ingredients and not tainted with chocolate, liquor, coconut or any other kind of distraction. I have sampled such gussied up pecan pies, and although they aren't distasteful, they fail to impress me.

My love affair with pecan pie is a dangerous one. I can't recall my first encounter with this luscious pie, but I do know that I must have been smitten at first bite. I have since learned that I must exercise extreme discipline around pecan pies. The sweet gooey filling encrusted with crunchy nuts and encased in an ultra flaky crust is enough to send me devouring the pie's entirety with reckless abandon. And because the pie is highly caloric, refraining from overindulgence is of utmost importance lest my waistline expand into epic proportions.

Hence, I allow myself to enjoy pecan pie once or twice a year, at Thanksgiving and perhaps once again at Christmas. My Thanksgiving slice has always been at our church potluck. The dessert table is heavily laden with big slices of pies galore: pumpkin, apple, mincemeat, sweet potato, and of course, pecan. I always grab a slice before even hitting the buffet line. A Thanksgiving without a slice of pecan pie is like a Thanksgiving without turkey, at least in my estimation...

...which brings to mind the Thanksgiving potluck of 2006 when (GASP!) no one brought a pecan pie to share. I, along with Marilyn the church secretary, stood next to each other, mouths agape, reeling in a state of disbelief. Marilyn, a pecan pie aficionado herself, commiserated with me. We must have bemoaned loudly enough for some sweet bystander to take notice. Within half an hour, a pecan pie miraculously appeared. The angelic rescuer, bless his or her soul, had zipped over to the grocery store and purchased a pecan pie, thus putting a prompt end to our mourning.

I've chosen a shortbread crust for this recipe. I adjusted Ken Haedrich's recipe by reducing the sugar to better complement the ultra sweet filling which calls for browned butter. Mr. Haedrich claims browning the butter imparts an extra nutty flavor to the pie, giving it more depth and definition. I wholeheartedly concur. This pie nearly brought happy tears to my eyes, and I celebrated my success by indulging in one huge slice, a whole month before Thanksgiving, for heaven's sake!


Shortbread Crust:
6 tablespoons butter, slightly softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cold water

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, egg, and salt together in a large bowl until well blended. Gradually add the flour until all of it has been added and the mixture comes together into a ball. Add the water and slowly beat it in.

Divide the dough into 3-4 pieces and place into 9-inch pie pan. Press dough evenly across bottom and up side of pan. Place in freezer for 15 minutes while preparing filling. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Filling:
1 stick unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Using a shiny skillet, so you can easily see what's happening in the pan, melt the butter over medium to medium-high heat. With wooden spoon in hand, stir the butter as you keep a close eye on it, waiting for it to brown. Once that starts to happen, it will go very quickly. Make sure to catch the butter while it is dark golden brown and before it gets too dark and begins to burn. As soon as the butter reaches this point, in 2-4 minutes, pour it into a bowl and let cool slightly.

Combine the eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk well to blend. Add the browned butter and whisk again until evenly combined. Stir in the pecans. Pour the filling into the chilled pie shell. Using a fork, gently rake the nuts to distribute them evenly.

Place the pie on the center oven rack and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until the filling, including the very center, is set, 25-30 minutes. When done, the pie will have puffed slightly and developed cracks around the perimeter.

Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool thoroughly. Serve at room temperature, or cover loosely with foil, refrigerate, and serve slightly chilled.


No comments:

Post a Comment