Saturday, March 26, 2011

PIE #16 - Pineapple Pie


It's time for a piece of pi. Pi represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. No matter how you slice pi, it will always remain a constant 3.14159. Pi (π) is also the 16th letter in the Greek alphabet. I just finished making my sixteenth pie and I have 16 blog followers. Fifty pies divided by sixteen equals 3.125, as close to the pi formula as I'll get on my pie quest. Of course, if all of this had transpired on March 14, World Pi Day, the mathematical stars truly would have been aligned.

On this late March day smack dab in the thick of Montana's "mud season", I'm craving color and sunshine and spring. To counteract the dingy melting snow and the gray skies, I've chosen a pineapple pie to prepare. It's sunny yellow color and bright citrus taste is a sure cure for my spring fever. The recipe is truly as easy as pie with minimal ingredients and simple steps, a quick fix to my winter blues. There is no rocket science involved and no doctorate of mathematics required, but to satisfy the nerds out there, I've dubbed it pineapple pie.

Butter + Cream Cheese + Cream = Yummy. There's no arguing that the result of this equation is a constant deliciousness. I think you'll discover that slicing across the decadent diameter of this pie will definitely add to the ratio of your circumference. So be my guest: celebrate pi with pie!

Pineapple Pie

2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 50 wafers)
1/3 cup melted butter
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
6 ounces (half of 12-ounce can) frozen Hawaii's Own Pineapple Starfruit juice concentrate
1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Combine crumbs and butter; press firmly on bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. Chill. Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, beat cheese until fluffy; gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk then juice concentrate until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Pile into crust. Chill 2 hours or until set. Refrigerate leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment