Sunday, February 27, 2011

PIE #10 - IRISH CREAM PIE

I love getting into the theme of things and with St. Patrick's Day just around the corner, I thought a pie featuring Irish Cream liqueur would be magically delicious. Besides, the bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream given to me as a Christmas gift really ought to get used. This recipe calls for whipped cream and marshmallows infused with a hearty dousing of the liqueur. The fluffy concoction is then piled high into a chocolate pastry crust. Trust me, one bite and you'll be doing a jig.

My last several pies have featured cream as an ingredient, and heavily so. I promise I will eventually highlight fruit pies and nut pies. All I know is that ten pies into my fifty pie resolution, I am three pounds heavier. At the rate I'm going, I'll be as big as Santa Claus by December, barely able to do the jig but definitely doing the jiggle.

In keeping with the St. Patty's Day theme, I have penned a limerick just for ye fine lads and bonnie lasses. Don some green garb, boost your spirits with a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream, and recite in your thickest Irish brogue. Oh, and make sure to fit in a wee bit of exercise as you partake in more pies.

It's fun to bake fifty big pies
But one thing I strongly advise
Take care as you sample
The slices are ample
They'll end on your hips and thighs

Chocolate Pastry Crust:
This crust is super easy made in a food processor. I got great results; flaky and flavorful!
1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold stick butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 tablespoons cold water

In a food processor, combine flour, cocoa, and sugar. Process until well blended, about 15 to 20 seconds. Add butter, turn machine (pulse) quickly on and off until mixture is in fine crumbs. With machine on, add vanilla and cold water, one tablespoon at a time. Process just until dough forms ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a round disc. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Roll out dough in a 12-inch circle on wax paper. Ease gently into a lightly greased 9-inch pie pan. Trim and flute edge. Prick with fork at 1/2 inch intervals. Freeze 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cool before filling.

Filling:
2 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Irish Cream liqueur
1 (1/4 oz.) package unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
Cocoa powder for garnish (optional)

Cream together cream cheese and sugar. Slowly add milk and liqueur to cheese mixture. Sprinkle gelatin on warm water; set aside 5 minutes to soften. Heat on stove or microwave until gelatin dissolves. Add dissolved gelatin to cream cheese mixture. Fold whipped cream into mixture. Pour filling into prepared crust and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Sift cocoa powder on top of pie, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment